Property Services - Edinburgh A&E
- Managing Contractor:
In February 2011 FES started work on the construction of a new 12 Bed Observation Ward for the A&E Department of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. FES assumed the role of Principal Contractor for this project.
The construction of this new unit had to be undertaken without compromising the day to day operations of Edinburgh’s busiest A&E department. The logistics of the project had to be planned with pinpoint accuracy as the only means of access to and from the construction site meant passing through the live hospital environment. Every effort was made throughout the project to ensure that essential services remained uninterrupted and specific control measures were implemented to ensure that the cleanliness of the construction site and adjacent areas were kept to the standard to satisfy Edinburgh Royals Infection Control Team.
The FES team, Consort and key members of Edinburgh Royals Hospital staff worked very closely throughout the course of the project to ensure that it was delivered on programme with no significant impact to the operation of this key facility.
The purpose of this project was the design and build of the A&E observation unit and construction of an extension to the existing Renal Dialysis ward within the existing Edinburgh Royal Infirmary Site. The renal ward extension was constructed as a single storey building at ground floor level within Courtyard 12.
The internal finish was to match the existing and included works as listed below:
- Strip out and down takings
- Groundwork’s and extension structure
- Formation of rooms and work area (both block and stud partition)
- Installation of whitewall
- Alterations to power, lighting management and control circuits
- Alterations and installation of new mechanical plant
- Medical gases, water services and LTHW heating
- Installation of new suspended ceilings
- Installation of new vinyl flooring
- Internal doors & screens
- FF & E
- Decant and relocation of clients fixtures and fittings