Renewables - Glasgow School of Art Biomass
- Client :
Glasgow School of Art
- Completion :
FES successfully completed the installation of a new Biomass Boiler for the Glasgow School of Art in 2012.
The Glasgow School of Art were in the process of developing a new 5 storey purpose built facility of some 10,500m2 in area at their existing Garnethill Campus. In order to both heat the new building, and achieve the sustainability targets that the GSA aspire to meet, a new 500kW Biomass Boiler was required to be installed to replace 4 of the existing gas boilers serving the campus’s district heating system which was to be connected to the Garnethill Building.
FES was responsible for the Design and Installation of the new 500kW Biomass Boiler and associated plant to allow it to serve the existing District Heating System which served the Bourdon & Mackintosh Buildings within the Glasgow School of Art Garnethill Campus.
Installation of new 500kW Biomass Boiler and associated alterations to the District Heating system it serves and Builders work associated with improving plant access and new fuel delivery mechanism into the plantroom. Also included are some minor works to the public highway to change parking and road layout on Renfrew Street.
Full scope of services included:
- Services isolation
- Asbestos removal/disposal (nominal materials)
- Removal of eight existing gas boilers and associated plant
- Removal of existing redundant flues
- Installation of 500kw Rural Energy / Hertz boiler
- Alteration/relocation of existing plant and equipment including pipework and control systems to accommodate new works
- Flue extension (5.3 m) to the roof of the Bourdon Building connected to existing chimney flue
- Installation of internal plant plinths and external fuel silo plinth along with silo/pellet feed pipework
- Equipment removal to allow enlargement of ventilation louvers (plant entry opening)
- Associated builder’s works
- Remote works to the district heating system to suit the design including pipework connections/alterations within the Mackintosh building to new district heating pipes to the Phase 1 development
- Commission of plant
- Upgrade of significant amount of district heating pipework including a major road crossing in Glasgow City Centre
- Installations of three new gas fired boilers